Monday, August 10, 2009

Caffe Trieste


We discovered Caffe Trieste on San Pablo Avenue, Berkely couple weeks ago and decided to come back and have fun. Caffe Trieste in North Beach, SF is a well known and unique cafe. Artists, writers and musicians gathered and it regularly had music concerts in the cafe. We visited the one at North Beach last year after seeing the movie, "The Parrots of Telegraph Hill" and decided to discover the area. It's a very European style cafe and brought us back to the France trip memories. Ira talked to an Italian independent film director there. Since we had great time at the North Beach Caffe Trieste, I was quite excited when I saw one in Berkeley.

I spent lots my college and graduate years in Cafe; I studied, wrote and people watching. Caffe Trieste has all the three characters which make me return and visit:

Good Cafe #1: Nice Crowds
lots of interesting people, nice dressed people and people who is doing something fun.


Good Cafe #2: Good Foods
Caffe Trieste on San Pablo has the best almond croissant around the Bay area in my opinion. When I was in France, I often had "croissants aux amandes" or "pain au chocolat aux amandes" for breakfast or dessert. I kept searching for the similar kind of almond croissant after I got back to the US. It's not the common kind of croissant here. SF Tartine Bakery has good almond croissants but I need to drive cross the bridge and wait for half hour to get it. I am so happy that I can find it here. It's $2.25 each which is almost a dollar cheaper then Tartine ones.

Caffe Trieste also has very good coffee, paninis and desserts. Their panini is big enough for two people to share. Ira and I shared a chicken panini, an almond croissant and a pot of tea for brunch and we are quite full.

A thick and crisp almond chips cover on the top of croissant.


Grilled Chicken Panini


Characteristics of a "Good Almond Croissant."


Good Cafe #3: Inspiring
Very often, I went to a cafe alone but I also like to invite friends to my favorite cafes. A good cafe inspires me. I feel comfortable to write, brain storm, read and do lots of things. It has the creative atmosphere. I love to write down my thoughts, ideas and life experiences on my note book when I am in a cafe alone . It's like doing the meditation to me.
Going to a cafe is not only for a drink; it's an experience and I enjoy it!